Monday, March 28, 2011

Rockwood Festival of Colors


The Hare Krishna Hindu believers here in Utah County celebrate the coming of spring each year with the Holi Festival, or Festival of Colors. The Krishna Temple is just south of us in Spanish Fork. When I was in college, I went to the festival and had a blast. The climax of the celebration is when they light the bonfire and then throw brightly colored chalk at each other, like the colors of the flowers opening in the creation. I wanted to take everyone this year, but we couldn't make it Saturday night, so we bought our chalk from the temple early and had our own festival tonight for family home evening. Our good friends the Marshalls joined our celebration, as well as Dave's cousins, Jared and Becky and their gang. Our friend Jaimie came as well and participated in the festivities as you can see in the picture below. We had a great time and plan on making it a tradition to hold our own festival.

The remnants of the festival will probably hang around for a while. The sink and bathtu
b are a little stained (though I think it will wear off eventually), and Brinn's hair now looks strawberry blonde. We'll see how our clothes faired when I finish the laundry tonight, but it was definitely well worth it. Yeah for colors! Now we just need spring to hurry along.



1 comment:

J Rock said...

You might need to wash your clothes a couple times, but you'll get everything out eventually.